Studioware allows you to create custom fields, to augment the data that is collected. For example, suppose you want to track a students skill level. You could create a custom field to collect this data.
Studioware allows you to create custom fields for students, staff, and classes. Custom fields can be numeric, true/false. text, or selecting an item from a list. When selecting items from a list, you can make the list mutually exclusive (that is, you can only select 1 item from the list), or select multiple items from the list.
This help article will guide you through the process of creating a custom field to save a student's Skill Level. To get started, follow these instructions
- Create a Custom List that will be used by this Custom Field. The custom list will have the set of skills that can be assigned to a student. To create a Custom List, follow these instructions: https://support.studioware2.com/kb/a40/custom-fields.aspx
- Click on Administration | Custom Fields
- Click on "Add Custom Field"
- Enter in the Custom Field Name, Custom Field Type, and Description:
- Select the type of custom field by selecting a value from the "Data Type" drop down list. For this example, select "DropDown List". This will prompt you for the name of the Custom List to bind to this new custom field. Select "Skill" in the "Custom List" drop down. Optionally, you can set the default value for the new custom field. Since the field's type is Skill list, select "Beginner" as the default value:
- Studioware offers many different Data Types when creating a custom field. Other data type options include
- CheckBox List: This option allows you to select a custom list. The items in the custom list are displayed in a column with a check box next to each item. This allows you to select zero or more items from the list. That is, it makes the custom list a multi-select list
- Currency: This allows you to enter a currency/decimal value
- Date: This allows you to select a Date from a pop-up calendar
- DateTime: This allows you to enter in a date and time.
- Decimal: This allows you to enter in a numeric value with a decimal
- DropDown List: This option allows you to select a custom list. The custom list will be displayed in a drop drop where one item can be selected from the list. That is, the items are mutually exclusive.
- Numeric: This allows you to enter a number in the custom field
- Radio List: This option allows you to select a custom list. The items in the custom list are displayed in a column with a radio-button next to each item. Only one item from the custom list can be selected. That is, the items in the list are mutually exclusive.
- Text: This allows you to enter in text in the custom field. You can specify the maximum length of the text to collect.
- Time: This allows you to enter in time in the custom filed
- True/False: This allows you to select true or false for the custom field
- WholeNumber: This allows you to enter a whole number. That is, no decimals are allowed.
- Yes/No: This allows you to select Yes or No for the custom field
- The final step in creating the custom field is to specify the Additional Settings
- The additional setting values include
- Help Text: This is the text that will appear in the tool-tip. That is, the text that will appear when you hover your mouse over the custom field. This is an optional value.
- Is Required: This option specifies that the custom field is required. That is, the custom field must be populated with a value before it can be saved.
- Read Only: This option indicates that the custom field is read only, and it's value cannot be changed. If the custom field had a value before being switched to read-ony, that value will be displayed and cannot be changed. If the custom field did not have a value prior to being made read-only, the default value will be displayed and cannot be changed.
- Display On Add: This indicates that the custom field will be displayed when adding the related item. For example, we have created a Student Skill custom field in this article. If you select "Display On Add", the field will be displayed when adding a new student. If you select "Display On Add" and "Is Required", the Skill custom field will be displayed when adding a new student, and it will require a value before the new student can be saved.
- Sort Order: If you have multiple custom fields, the Sort Order will specify the ordering of the fields.
- Click on "Save" to save the custom field
Adding a new Student:
Adding Multiple Students:
- Editing a student custom field value